Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Travel Tips for Healthy Eating

Life was too monotonous. I have been feeling that mortality is palpable, that life is so short and transitory. So my solution? Let's go live it up! So my family and I decided to go on a weekend trip to the city. Beach, ocean, diversity will fill us up. But will our health be compromised by the stress and chaos of traveling, leaving us more depleted than when we left?

Oftentimes we may ask ourselves, "where did the food go?" as we drive through barren towns, with only truck stops, 711's, fast food joints and liquor stores. The answer should be, "In my backseat!" With us came along the snack staples that we enjoy at home. You can make a simple 10 minute cooler full of snacks and quick meals, brimming with the foods that I have given you in session. Here are some of the things that I picked up quickly before our trip:
  • South American Quinoa Salad (from the local Organic Deli - my daughter Camaria was excited. Kids are always so open to having a good time!)
  • Strawberries
  • Bananas
  • Almond Butter
  • Larabars
  • Smoked Salmon
  • Bragg's Seasoned Almonds
  • Ginger Kombucha
  • 3 Large Bottles of Water
Once you have made the drive, you have restaurants and grocery stores to contend with. I immediately called my father and found out where the closest farmer's market was so we could stock up on local, organic, and yummy snacks for the day.

The Farmers Market

Just like anywhere, you will find items that will tickle your senses and send you off course from a wholesome, fresh diet at a farmer's market. I found myself transported to the cobblestone streets of southern Italy, a long skirt trailing behind me as I waved and rubbed shoulders with the village people. There is something so primal about an open air market. All I needed was a hand woven basket and my fantasy would be complete. Pastries, muffins, and cakes freshly baked wafted to my nose. My daughter immediately honed in on what she wanted to celebrate our festive trip....



I asked her to hold off and to look at everything that was offered first. We could snack on samples of fruit, vegetables, cheeses, and fresh nuts and oils before we make the call.

Here is what I ended up buying at the market:
  • Pint of Organic Blueberries
  • 1/2 Pound of Organic Sugarsnap Peas
  • Whole Grain Flaxseed/Orange Muffin for Cammie :)
  • 3 Fresh Organic Peaches
  • Pint of Organic Strawberries
I skipped the meat and other rich items. These would give us fresh, fiber-rich and juicy breakfast items, clean our palette and allow us to absorb some immune-boosting components before the beginning of our day.

Coffee Shops

One of my husbands favorite things to do when traveling is to go to local coffee houses. These are great places to meet with people, linger, philosophize about politics, religion, and spirituality, and also get some great tips on what is happening in the area. The downside is stopping as much as we do (2 times on the drive down, and 3 times while in the city) can add up to high exposure to sugar, caffeine, and milk. There is a magical solution that will combat stress, hydrate your blood and skin, and boost your energy levels while on-the-go.

Tea!

While on this trip I had 5 cups of tea, in a day and a half. I chose herbal varieties every time. Mint, chamomile, licorice, roobois, dandelion. Every 16 ounce cup gave me the hydration I was needing (which can be challenging when you do not want to drink the city tap water, and always forget to reload on purified water), dampened my appetite with warm, sweet, and savory varieties of herb, and energized me with antioxidants that were floating within each glass.  No need to add sugar or honey. These herbal teas coat your throat with warmth, and have subtle tastes that blanket your mind with curiosity. All that with no added calories!

Restaurants

Finding dining that is healthy is not as hard as you may think. I made sure we knew of every organic grocery store in the city. They always have salad bars and hot deli items that are organic or fresh and natural. Look them up beforehand, or ask the front desk staff at your hotel. Whole Foods is a grocery store that is ubiquitos in most cities in america today, but they are just an example of what is out there. I used them to get a three bean salad, spinach salad, and baked potatoes to go - as well as a burrito for my daughter.

Raw food restaurants are popping up everywhere. Cafe Gratitude in Marin was a mandatory stop for me to pick up one of their desserts for our series finale, "Lost" party in the hotel room. Raw food restaurants have amazingly delicious concoctions, and do not be afraid of them! Order a salad if you are tentative, and they will always be great!

But what if you do not plan ahead? Or maybe you are really hungry and in need of a sit down? Well, most restaurants have menu items that will vibe with your whole food, healthy program. If you schedule a 'How to Eat Out' session with Natalie you can learn all the tips on how to choose menu items, order it correctly, eat for optimal digestion, and portion sizing. These skills can carry you through any restaurant experience, regardless of the neighborhood!

We went to Haight and Ashbury, and found ourselves hungry and in need of a 'sit down' experience. We found Asqew, an amazing restaurant chain with fresh, natural meats and fish, and wholesome grains and salads. I got a spinach salad with wild Alaskan salmon skewers on top.


Cammie wanted the antibiotic and hormone free chicken skewer on lemongrass rice. It was delicious!

When you are in a healthy mindset, healthy foods will be drawn to you like a moth to a flame. With a little preparation, and some enthusiasm for focusing not only on eating healthy, but enjoying the discovery of the journey, you will come back from a mini vacation full of energy and renewed spirit!

Remember this tip: eating healthy should not be stressful and regimented. You should be inspired and lifted by immersing yourself in environments that value well being, while also nourishing yourself with friendly, loving thoughts about your body, your family, and the beautiful people and scenery you are experiencing. You can eat all the organic veggies underneath the sun, and still be a grump! Nutrition is the nourishment of mind, body, and spirit, so remember that eating healthy is just a product of choosing to notice the beauty in your world.

PS. Many of these photos are courtesy of Camaria Anastasio Pescetti, my 7 year old daughter. Thank you!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a girl who believes in magic and loves to write.